QUALIFI Level 5 Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)
The qualifications look to provide a realistic and broad opportunity for the learners, who are seeking career and professional development. We support t the learners in realising their potential and provide clear objectives.
These objectives are to:
- provide career path support to learners who wish to develop their management skills, enterprise capabilities and opportunities in their chosen sector
- improve learner understanding of any given business environments and organisations and how they are managed and developed
- develop skills and abilities in learners to support their professional development.
Our qualifications provide a rich mix of disciplines and skills development opportunities. Learners will gain insight into the functioning, objectives and processes of organisations, appreciating their diversity and the influences and impact of external forces on them. The fast-changing and complex business environment and different organisational ability to stay resilient and respond positively to change and opportunities will be explored.
Our qualifications will develop learner ability to:
- Understand the rules of the English language and how to convey these in a foreign language classroom.
- Understand the nature of foreign language skills and how to develop them.
- Understand and apply basic standard teaching procedures appropriately.
- Select, design, and review their own teaching materials and lesson plans appropriate to specific teaching situations.
- Demonstrate their ability to work independently.
- Improve their own employability through developing their awareness of the relationship between learner needs and the practical application of teaching methodology in the language classroom.
Reasons for the Qualification
The Qualification has been created to contribute to the professionalism of the global TEFL industry.
The programme is designed to develop the academic and professional skills and qualities needed to begin a career as an EFL teacher.
Rationale aims and learning outcomes of the course
The Level 5 programme will require learners to gain a sufficient understanding of language systems and commonly used teaching approaches to embark on a career in TEFL. The qualification will enable learners to become independent, novice teachers with the tools to plan appropriate lessons and courses for their students without support if necessary.
The optional (unaccredited) short follow on courses allow our learners to select a teaching specialisation if they wish to.
The reflection activities and research tasks provided throughout the course are designed to equip our learners to continue to develop their knowledge and understanding of language and to reflect on their teaching practice throughout their careers.
Aims of the Certificate and Diploma
The Level 5 Certificate in TEFL aims to give learners the opportunity to:
- Gain a qualification from an internationally recognised awarding organisation.
- Learn from a curriculum supported by content relevant to modern English language teaching.
- Develop new skills and knowledge that can be immediately applied.
- Prepare to take up positions in educational establishments or to work independently as private tutors.
- Have assignments marked by professionals with practical experience as EFL teachers and teacher trainers.
- Progress along a pathway to study for a higher level of qualification in teaching and/or linguistics, should they choose to in the future.
The programme is available in 2 duration modes:
The programme is available in 2 delivery modes:
This qualification has been designed to be accessible without artificial barriers that restrict access and progression. There are no entrance requirements.
In the case of applicants whose first language is not English, then IELTS 6.5 (or equivalent) is recommended.
There are 10 mandatory units for this qualification. All units cover a number of topics relating to learning outcomes. Each unit has the equivalency of credits.
Learners are required to complete the 10 units to achieve the credits required to gain the Level 5 Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL).
|Unit Reference||Mandatory Units||Level||TQT||Credits||GLH|
|M/617/3459||An Introduction to Lesson Planning||5||10||1||8|
|H/617/3460||Teaching English Vocabulary||5||20||2||10|
|M/617/3462||Understanding English Grammar||5||50||5||25|
|T/617/3463||Teaching Receptive Skills: Listening and Reading||5||50||5||30|
|A/617/3464||Teaching Productive Skills: Speaking and Writing||5||20||2||14|
|F/617/3465||Teaching English Grammar||5||60||6||30|
|J/617/3466||History of the English Language and English Language Teaching||5||10||1||8|
|L/617/3467||Teaching Materials and Aids and Classroom Management Strategies||5||10||1||8|
|R/617/3468||The Effective use of Resources for TEFL||5||40||4||20|
Assessment is via assignment submission
This programme is accredited by Ofqual Awarding body (Qualifi)